Monday, March 21, 2011

Disasters and Day jobs

Two things that are visible yet not visible--and always lurking right under the surface of everyday life.





This week I have asked a handful of photographers I admire about how they balance their time. Some have day jobs and some do not.

According to Wikipedia, a day job is "a form of occupation taken by a person in order to make ends meet while working another low-paying (or non-paying) job in their preferred career track". As someone who is between a BFA and an MFA, I've definitely had a few myself.

I will also be posting responses by artists to the crisis in Japan. While everyone knows it is still a dire situation, the breaking news has slipped down to the bottom of the NYTimes.com homepage. There is just so much else going on in the world right now. That said, it is not too late to help and I will be posting ways to do that throughout the week!

Images: David Guttenfelder / Associated Press (top), Jessica Williams (bottom)