Friday, March 25, 2011

Making Time : Sol Hashemi





Do you have a day job? What is it?

I work part-time as an assistant photographic technician at the University of Washington. Basically I help keep the photography program running; troubleshooting equipment, sending prints, checking out gear to students. I'm lucky to have been working here since graduating in 2009.

Do the people you work with know you are a photographer?

Yup.

Does the work you do during the day affect your personal work?

Definitely. All the experience I've had printing has really helped when it comes time to get one of my photographs onto paper. I used to go through a ton of proofs but now I can get really close on the first try. I've learned to spend more time on the prepping. Also, to only print when I've slept the night before!



If you could rearrange your time, what would be the ideal balance between your personal and professional work?

I really like the balance right now; I have time to get my own projects done yet have access to so much equipment. My schedule is flexible too so exhibition or grant deadlines are never a problem.

Images: Sol Hashemi

Top to bottom: Plant (2009), Liquids (2010), Bouquet of Flowers (After Pissarro) (2010)