Wednesday, January 19, 2011

ke francis




from francis' statement: "my work is mostly narrative in intent. i wouldn't say that i tell stories with my visual art. when i want to tell a story, i use words and write a story. the initial impulse that drives me to start an image is a narrative impulse. once the work is under way, the artwork has a life of its own: the words drop away and from that point on the creation of the work is based on purely visual response. the decisions are almost entirely visual decisions. most of my preconceptions are left behind and the work assumes its own identity, finds its own way to completion. i do what the work tells me to do. when a work is successful, it is because i've managed to get out of the way. this way of working makes bragging such a hollow experience; not the ego-building, uplifting thing bragging was designed to be."

[all ke francis. top to bottom: shelter with picket fence. yellow tuning forks and tornado. injured figure and tuning fork.]